Let’s Discuss Your Signage Solutions
Best Durable Materials Used for Outdoor Signs
Signage is the most important investment for businesses when it comes to letting the target audience know about the presence and advertising and marketing. However, to gain the best returns from your investment, you must pay attention to all its components while selecting them.
We see many businesses making mistakes while selecting the outdoor signages regularly. To solve this problem, this blog by Signworld Group, one of the top signage companies in UK, focuses on outdoor signages, different kinds of durable materials used for outdoor signages and the best option for your business. So, let’s dive in!
What are Outdoor Signs?
Outdoor signages are simply the signages that are displayed outside the company’s premises. They work as the ‘Face’ of the brand, especially for brick-n-mortar businesses. When picked wisely, they can promote the business and product/service, increase awareness and recognition, give direction and attract customers. However, to solve all these purposes, they should be durable.
The material of outdoor signages plays a major role in durability. The material should be selected as per the business’s needs while considering the business’s aesthetics. It can be modern, fun, classic or something else but should clearly portray the right image of the company. Therefore, while keeping the design in mind, never neglect the material of the outdoor signages.
What are the best durable materials used for Outdoor signs?
Outdoor signages are designed using different materials, and each of them has a different look and functionality. Here is a list of the best durable materials that are usually used for designing outdoor signages:
1. Vinyl: Vinyl outdoor signages are very versatile. This material is perfect for outdoor and indoor signs. It is inexpensive and can be the best choice for disposable signages. You can even consider it for outdoor welcome signs, banners, floor decals, vehicle graphics and murals. The best part is that vinyl can be found in different colours and with different prints.
Vinyl material is low maintenance, weather-resistant, flexible, easy to clean and easy to install or remove. However, it is less long-lasting than aluminium.
2. Aluminium and Aluminium Composite: Aluminium is one of the strongest materials used for outdoor signages. It can survive for years and is more durable than plastic and most metals. It is the reason why most businesses use nameplates made up of aluminium. The aluminium and aluminium composite outdoor signages can be permanently attached to the walls or post and are easy to clean, low-maintenance, weather-resistant, fade-resistant and scratch-proof. However, it can be more expensive than vinyl material, and its reflective surface can cause glare.
3. Acrylic: Acrylic is another popular material used for designing outdoor signages. It is also called plexiglass and can be perfect for turning photos into external signs in UK. Acrylic outdoor signages are extremely sturdy and durable, weather-resistant, translucent, no glare, UV resistant and shatter-resistant. It is more like glass and is found in different varieties. If you consider its visual appearance and customisation option, it can be quite low-priced. However, if you want the signages for busy streets, the acrylic material is not a good pick because of its difficulty while repairing.
4. Treated Wood: Treated wood is another material used for designing outdoor signages by signage companies in UK. Here, the normal wood is well-treated to make it survive in different weather conditions. This material can be expensive in the long run because you have to coat it with polyurethane from time to time. However, when treated wood is combined with other materials, like aluminium, it can last even longer and require less maintenance. You can pick this material option for a rustic effect.
5. PVC: PVC is considered the perfect material for outdoor signages by sign manufacturers in UK. It is extremely lightweight, rigid, and durable. Also, it is available in different thicknesses, which gives you the option to choose. The best part is that it is inexpensive, rigid, weather-resistant and offers a double-sided printing option. However, it is heavier than most outdoor signage materials. You can avoid it if you need extremely lightweight material.
6. Dibond: Dibond is the aluminium composite combined with a PVC centre. It has the best properties of both materials and can be extremely lightweight. Also, it is extremely strong, long-lasting, weather-resistant, waterproof and non-corrosive and can be used in any kind of environment. The best thing is that it is easy to cut in different shapes; therefore, it could be the best option for outdoor signage customisation.
7. Coroplast: Coroplast is a type of corrugated plastic sheeting that makes the perfect outdoor signages. It is very versatile and is available in different varieties. It is cheap, lightweight, weather-resistant, stain-resistant, recyclable and durable. You will find this material signage at real estate, yards and golf. However, it is prone to bending and can look inexpensive if outdoor signages are not designed properly.
8. MDO: MDO or Medium Density Overlay material is another durable pick for outdoor signages. It is glossy and attracts people instantly. Also, if you like the wood finish but want your outdoor signage to be more weather resistant, it can be a perfect pick. It requires no special treatments or vanishes and can easily be painted in any colour.
9. Stainless Steel: Another material mostly used for designing outdoor signages is Stainless steel. It has all aluminium material features and a sleek metal look. It is also extremely durable and scratch-free. The best thing is that it is easy to clean and maintain and can stand in the best position on busy streets. This material will also look quite sophisticated and will not lose its shine for years.
How to decide on the best material for outdoor signs for your business?
Every business has different requirements. And depending on that, they should select the outdoor signage material for themselves. There are many durable materials for outdoor signs offered by signage companies in UK. You can choose the best one while considering physical aspects and location. Here are a few factors you can consider here:
Duration for the outdoor signages: Everyone wants their outdoor signs to last for different time periods. For example, if you want to advertise an upcoming sale, you might require that external signs in UK for just a week or two. Or, if you want your target audience to know about your existence, you will need it to last much longer. So, here’s a crack- most outdoor sign materials can last between 8-12 years, but some, like banners or coroplast, last only for a month. You can make them ultra-violet resistant or waterproof by adding a surface coating. You can choose between these two and make your selection profitable.
Waterproof: Mostly, outdoor signs are required to be waterproof. You must look for them in any case. Here, avoid the plywood or untreated wood signs as they might trap moisture. Instead, pick plastic and aluminium as they can also survive in harsh weather environments. If you think you live in a very dry area or need the outdoor signages for a short period, choose any material.
Impact and Scratch resistance: The impact and scratch-resistant outdoor signages are important mainly for busy streets. You don’t want anything to bump into the signages and damage them. Even the high winds can damage these signages. If you’re going to place the signages in a high-traffic location, consider aluminium, steel or acrylic-based materials.
Lighting needs: Some external signs in UK are designed for daytime and some for nighttime. And the daytime ones don’t have any external lighting source. If you run a typical 9 to 5 business, the normal outdoor signages would work for you; but if you want the signages to solve the purpose at night, you will require them to have lighting. It will offer more visibility and solve the purpose of lights. The illuminated signages provide a glow, and you can consider them as an option.
Cleaning and Maintenance: Your outdoor signages should always look the best. If your signages are dirty, it might negatively impact your target audience. So, when selecting the material for external signs in UK, consider cleaning and maintenance. Many times, cleaning and maintaining the outdoor signs by yourself can be tough; here, you can select the material with a special coating.
Temperature exposure: Every signage is designed to stand in different temperature exposures. If you think your location has a low or high temperature, you should get outdoor signages supporting the same. Most sign manufacturers in UK suggest aluminium or metal material for outdoor signages as they can stand perfectly under any kind of temperature exposure.
Other than these physical considerations, you must also consider the aesthetic and marketing goals while selecting the material for your outdoor signages. The aesthetic goals are defined according to the exterior and interior of your building. You must decide whether you need a classic appearance, trendy touch, or sophisticated design from your outdoor signage. According to us, anything that attracts a target audience and doesn’t harm the exteriors of your building can be the best outdoor signage material.
You must also consider your budget while selecting materials for outdoor signages. Each material has a different price. You should spend your money on something that offers high-quality and more longevity at the best price.
For permanent outdoor signage options, you can select composite board or Dibond.
For the temporary outdoor signages option, you can pick Sintra or coroplast.
For substantial investment, you can choose 3D lettering, aluminium, carved acrylic or stainless steel.
You might be thinking that these are too many factors to consider while picking material for outdoor signages, but these will help you make a better selection. As outdoor signages play a major role in advertising and branding, you can’t take a risk by selecting the wrong material.
How to protect your Outdoor signs?
Install the signages in the less exposing spots. You can install them in the shade to protect them from excessive sunlight or rain.
You can check in which direction the wind mostly blows, and the rain falling direction and install the outdoor signages in the opposite location.
For digital and electronic outdoor signages, you can install the cooling systems near them.
Always ask the sign manufacturers in UK about finishes or treatments that can protect the signages for a longer time. They can guide you with the best possible solutions.
The best material for outdoor signs at Signworld Group:
Now, you know about different materials for outdoor signages and how to select the best ones for you. These should fulfil all your company’s needs and match the building’s aesthetics. Outdoor signages designed using accurate material adds value to the brand and last for years. However, if you want quality and longevity from the outdoor signages, you must get them designed by one of the top signage companies in UK.
Signworld Group is a full-service sign manufacturer in UK that is known for delivering high-quality results to businesses around the country. We design internal and external signs in UK using different materials. From temporary to permanent, we have different materials for outdoor signages available. We can guide you with the best materials for your outdoor signages according to your business needs, budget and design preferences. We can help you find the value for money outdoor signages.
For more information, reach out to us today!